With the lacing panel completed and ready for inserting (see previous post for those juicy how-we-done-it details), we turned our attention back to the dress. By now, we’d gotten confirmation on the bodice dimensions, with perfect timing.
We re-checked the measurements of the dress form and put the unbleached hempsilk shell back on it, inside out:
Why inside out? Because that way we can take in the seams if need be. But these seams were perfect just the way they were, so we forged on ahead.
It was time to create the dress straps. We’ll save the time of showing cut out pieces (we can all imagine them, yes?) and sewing them together (ditto). Here’s what they looked like before pressing; kind of like a limp tube. They really need to be pressed; pressing makes things pop:
Here they are, all pressed. See what I mean about the pop? Now they look like proper straps:
We made them wider in the middle so they would look like the straps on our Jemma design, at the request of our client. Like this:
Why are the straps of differing lengths? Because the mock-up straps were marked at notably different lengths. We added several inches to each strap length for wiggle-room.
Since there was still a question of placement and length of the straps, we agreed to attach the straps in front, in exactly the place that our client had indicated on her mock-up. But we’d leave the back for a local person to attach the straps, once the dress was actually on. This was really the only way to be sure that the length and location of the straps would be exactly right, since we didn’t know where her chosen support garments would be, etc. This way, we could be sure of full undergarment coverage – very important!
Next post, we put it all together…
Be well, ~ Lori